Spiromide is a combination of two potent diuretics (spironolactone and Furosemide):
- Spironolactone acts specifically to inhibit aldosterone action on the distal tubules.
- Furosemide exerts its action over the loop of Henle, as well as the proximal & distal tubules to a
lesser extent, both actions result in excretion of sodium and water.
- In addition, spironolactone minimizes loss of potassium in urine.
Edema associated with congestive heart failure,
nephrotic syndrome, liver cirrhosis with
ascites, idiopathic edema, essential
- Significant renal impairment.
- Hepatic coma.
- Symptoms &signs of fluid & electrolyte imbalance should be observed: dry mouth, thirst,
lethargy, restlessness, muscle pain, fatigue,nausea & vomiting
- Spiromide reduces the vascular responsiveness to nor adrenaline therefore caution should be taken
in managing patients subjected to anesthesia while being treated with Spiromide.
- Spiromide increases the half-life of digitalis, resulting in possible digitalis toxicity.
The dose of digitalis should be reduced accordingly.
- Spiromide may raise BUN levels and cause mild acidosis in patients with impaired renal function.
Use during pregnancy and lactation:
Spiromide is better avoided during pregnancy and lactation Use only if the potential benefit
justifies potential risk to the fetus or child.
Sudden alteration of fluid & electrolyte balance in
patients with hepatic impairment may
precipitate hepatic coma. Strict observation
Furosemide was found to cause toxicity if
taken with amino-glycosides or with renal
Excess diuresis may cause dehydration and
reduction in blood volume with circulatory
collapse especially in elderly people.
Dosage & route of administration & duration:
1-2 tablets daily
Side effects are reversible after stoppage of drug use.
They include symptoms of electrolyte
disturbance, nausea, vomiting, abdominal
colic, tinnitus, headache, vertigo & blurred
vision. Anemia, leukopenia, allergic
reactions, hypocalcaemia, hyperuricemia &
Glycosuria have been reported. Gynecomastia
Keep at temp. not exceeding 30°C
Keep medicine out of reach of children
Box of 10 tablets (50mg)
Box of 10 tablets (100mg)